Friday, November 30, 2007

Airplane Paintings!!! in progress anyway.

Okay...so I'm getting into this new painting here..
It's a couple of bearcats over a super cool skyscape....super cool if I get it right. This image is the first rough colour sketch....It's funny I haven't looked at this for a while...since I've been working on the later stages.....and man, I think I like the original tilt on the planes...plus...I like the rougher feel of the paint.....I might try this with another painting in the future. More impressionistic feel




So I guess I would call this the middle stages.
I've started to smooth out the clouds ...which is in keeping with the cloud reference I'm using...it's a wispy kind of cumulus and stratus mix...the sun's position seems to rob the clouds of volume but creates a kind of layered feeling...The black perspective looking lines were something I added to help me when I'm later adding any "God rays that are punching through parts of the clouds...you can also see that I've moved the planes.....A mistake in retrospect.....so.......see below.


A couple things have changed here...I've widened the canvas a touch....Things felt a little tight on the left of the painting....like the planes needed room to fly... I've also restored some tilt to the planes....I like that.... Funny: Though I like this result...it's clear to me that I've lost the punch of initial rough....crap. I think I need to add some tilt to the clouds themselves...theres definitely a sense of horizon in my first rough....I'll try to get that back.........AAAAAAHHHH!!!!...................more changes on the way.....but once I get this sky worked out it's on to the planes. The fun and painful part.

2 comments:

Monkey Feet said...

I do like the rougher version because of the layers of clouds. But the third one looks great with the sun outlines! What kind of planes are those?

mom said...

Very nicely done. Keep up the great works.